Monday 13 January 2014

Masculinity in Crisis?


Masculinity = Margaret Thatcher
Femininity = Cillian Murphy
What a great day! The day that the movies 'Hunger' and 'Breakfast on Pluto' gave me the ideal argument why gender and sex, masculinity and men or femininity and women do not naturally coincide. In 'Hunger' it is Margaret Thatcher who performs the perfect hegemonic masculinity, while Cillian Murphy simply embodies the most gorgeous feminine woman.

As of today I say: If society insists on a binary gender scale with masculinity on one side and femininity on the other. FINE! But only if Margaret Thatcher is established as the ideal embodiment of masculinity and Cillian Murphy or better Petty Kitten as the ideal feminine! And something tells me, that society would no longer be so hesitant to the idea of abandoning this whole idea of a binary!

The Cinderella Complex- An anecdote on masculinity in crisis 
About a month ago my best friend and I went out, celebrating 10 years of wonderful friendship. That night my friend met someone, they chatted for quite a while and he even offered to walk us home. When finally arriving at my friend's place I gave them some space, waiting for her patiently inside. The moment she entered, I asked if they had exchanged numbers. Her answer: " No, he ran! When I asked if he'd like to give me his number he just said: Sorry, phones dead! And took off. Literally jogging away from me!!" We both bursted into laughter and agreed that it made no sense. A few days ago I remembered the situation when someone commented on a similar behaviour by calling it 'the cinderella complex'. Two aspects make this comment so brilliant: For one, it mocks the illusion of romantic love as a fairy tale, and two it jumbles internalised gender roles and invalidates the notion of masculinity belonging to men and femininity to women.

Men can be Cinderella without stopping being a men and a women can be the prince , putting an effort in the search for her 'love', can't they? And why should it be less of a love story, less of a fairy tale because of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment